Barbie World + work

Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.

I worked my first true 12 hour day yesterday.

Right?
Wait, let's put this into context. It isn't the first day I've ever done 12 hours of any sort of work, for all you jokesters out there. I do not count my summers spent lifeguarding, when yes, I probably did start at 8 AM with swim lessons and finish at 8 PM with cleanup a few times. But yeah, I was sitting in the sun, in a chair, at the pool for that particular line of work. I had frequently and lengthy breaks. And I didn't appreciate it for what it was, of course. I was all "I hate bees" and "I hate cleaning the kiddie pool." As that old crank from It's a Wonderful Life would say, youth is wasted on the wrong people.

This is a very interesting situation...
See how old and mature I am now?

Anywho... I am not, nor do I pretend to be, someone who can't leave work at work. I am not attached to a Blackberry at all hours, I don't worry about what's going on at the office when I'm on vacation, and I'm never concerned with any perceived "office politics" or that kind of nonsense (it helps that I work in a friendly department). I like my job, but I don't derive my self worth from it - I think most recent grads with entry level jobs feel that way, because otherwise your sense of self-worth would be preeeeeeetty low. My job is how I make a living, not my life.

Except sometimes it does become my life. For just a day or two, but boy are those days depressing.

...I hope no one at work is offended by this post...

This is all really just to brag that I worked for so long yesterday. 8 of the hours were spent in the office, 4 were spent at home... typing and organizing and reading and ignoring all sorts of other fun ways to fill my evening. This happens to everyone now and then. Honestly, this post is really just to keep me in the habit of posting whether or not I actually have the time to do so. I haven't even talked to my mom for three whole days, so you know I must be busy.

There aren't even any fields nearby to take out your frustration on a printer.
Happy Tuesday!