Barbie World + food

What I Eat

No, this isn't a Carrie Cooks post. This is just a little blurb about my meals on a week to week basis, what I like and don't like.

I wouldn't classify my eating habits as healthy, but I wouldn't say they're alarmingly terrible either (though I've heard there's this river in Egypt...) Here's a general summary:

I very, very rarely eat breakfast -- if I do, it's a bagel or an English muffin. I usually drink coffee in the morning with creamer (so heyyy, calcium, right?)

For lunch, usually I get a soup, small sandwich, or salad. Sometimes I'll splurge on a cheeseburger.

I drink more water each day than the average fish.

Between lunch and dinner and my water intake, I probably consume 800-1000 calories. So my evening should have plenty of wiggle room, right? I could eat an indulgent dinner and still be around 2000 calories.

But really, could I? No, I don't think so. Because dinner is my friend and my foe. Because my dinners are sometimes Henry VIII-esque feasts. Because for dinner, particularly when it's cold out, I want bread and meat and butter and cheese and cream. And wine, glorious wine. Okay, not all together, but you know what I mean. I want rich, savory things. I want French eating preferences in American sized portions.

Maybe with a caesar salad on the side, just to be "healthy." Maybe.

The only thing that somewhat redeems me is I rarely eat dessert. I eat dessert less than I eat breakfast. When you eat breakfast maybe twice a month on average, that's hardly any dessert, right? I enjoy sweet things occasionally (heyyy, ice cream), but I don't crave them.

I feel the need to point out here that, through some miracle of genetics, my blood pressure is way, way low. My cholesterol is low. I am still in the normal BMI range, though not skinny like I was in high school/ college/ before I met Kyle (it's a coincidence, I swear). I feel okay about myself. Not fabulous, but okay. If I didn't, I'd probably cut back on the feasts once in awhile. But not the wine.

Kyle is one of the few husbands who might strive for healthy eating more often than his wife. By "strive for" I really mean "talk about," as neither of us are particularly strong on the follow-through, but he has very good intentions.

He suggested this morning that we prepare more vegetable-y things, like cucumber salads. And you know what? I sort of died inside thinking about eating cucumbers when it's all chilly and windy and sleety outside. Then again, I had a salad today for lunch. With a bag of white cheddar popcorn, but still. I could probably eat cucumbers for awhile. Or melon. Maybe with some prosciutto on the side?

Dammit.