Barbie World + hhholidays

For All Who Truly Believe: Part II

At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe. [The Polar Express]
Over the next few weeks, I'll be sharing some of my favorite Christmas quotes, songs, and letters with you.

These are passages that get to me. They speak to something so precious and sacred about this time of year -- the hope we feel and the promises we make as the old year passes away. They touch on a magic that I firmly believe in -- the magic of faith and trust, the magic of childhood.

The first is all about that precious magic.

The second is a song that evokes another side of Christmas, away from the bustle; one of peacefulness, solitude, and the quiet beauty of a winter night.

Tall in the saddle, we spend Christmas Day,
driving the cattle over snow covered-plains.
All of the good gifts given today,
ours is the sky and the wide open range.

Back in the cities they have different ways,
football and eggnog and Christmas parades.
I'll take the blanket, I'll take the reins,
It's Christmas for cowboys on the wide-open plains.

A campfire for warmth as we stop for the night,
the stars overhead are the Christmas tree lights.
The wind sings a hymn as we bow down to pray,
It's Christmas for cowboys on the wide-open plains.

Tall in the saddle we spend Christmas Day,
driving the cattle over snow-covered plains.
All of the good gifts given today,
ours is the sky and the wide open range.

It's Christmas for cowboys on the wide-open plains.

-Christmas for Cowboys, John Denver, 1975