Barbie World + Saint-Paul Ouest

We arrived in Montreal midnight on Monday and the week has flown by...

Planetarium, Montreal

There are so many things to organise with our move here and we will be living out of suitcases for a few weeks yet until we find the right apartment. The weather has been beautiful and much like our warm Brisbane summer days. Today we walked through China Town and down along the river. The days are so long here and I love that everyone enjoys the sunshine until the sun finally sets. I'm so excited by the food here and exploring the huge selection of restaurants throughout the city. That and the shopping! Living here could be dangerous on the purse and figure. Diary note for this week - must join a gym.

I won't deny that I'm feeling a little homesick

Leaving Dexter behind was a really hard thing to do and I think about our little monster and his happy wriggle bottom all the time. Our last night and morning were so rushed with a few dramas and I'm wishing I got in more cuddles from my little man. I'm also missing my family and friends but look forward to when Brisbane awakes so I can see what they are all up to (thank goodness for facebook and skype). But, I know these feelings are normal and I'm very excited by exploring this beautiful city and building a life here.

I realise now how exhausted the last month has left me with our move over here. I struggle to wake up each morning and find I'm drinking one too many cups of coffee each day to stay awake. I'm sure others who have made a similar move can relate. I think trying to get into a routine is important and hopefully the key to feeling normal again.

It looks as though we have found a home in Old Montreal which I'm very excited about. The apartment is furnished and very stylish, warm and in a great location. I also couldn't help but notice some nice cooking utensils in the kitchen so I'm eager to explore behind those cupboard doors. This afternoon I went for a walk through what will be our new neighbourhood and took some pictures. It's a pretty part of town with lots of character and the restaurants dined in so far have been very good. I also hear there is a nice yoga studio with large windows overlooking Saint-Paul Ouest. Could be a good way to kickstart a routine.

Montréal is definitely filled with good restaurants

Last night we tried to get into Barroco in Old Port but the place was booked out, so we went next door to the sister restaurant Bocata. Bocata is more of a wine bar than Barroco and serves small plates as opposed to larger meals. The interior is so warm and inviting with stone walls and shelves filled with old books, dark timber tables and chairs and windows that open onto Saint-Paul Ouest. Candles light up the tables and the wine list comes in the form of an old book.

The food was so good, my favourites being the duck & arugula salad with pancetta and apple vinaigrette and a mushroom tartine made with local mushrooms with a mustard sauce, served on a bread board. I have been to a few restaurants here now who serve their food on bread boards or slate and I do like it. So simple and rustic. I'm still keen to make it to Barroco so will be sure to book in advance next time.

To those living in Montréal or who have visited, what is your favourite restaurant?