Barbie World + cupcakes

April Fool's Day Cupcake

So this is what I served up for dinner on Friday (April Fool's Day). It's a Sausage Meatloaf Cupcake with Pink Swirl Whipped Mashed Potatoe Frosting! I used these huge silicone cupcake liners that I've had forever. I kept telling everyone what we were having, but when they saw the "frosting" they were sooo confused. One of my kids' said to me "I can't believe you really put Pink frosting on meatloaf"! When he bit into it he was surprised to taste delicious creamy mashed potatoes instead of butter cream frosting;) You can find the link to where I got my inspiration from HERE. *Of course I changed it up because I like to do things my way~ but I did use heavy cream (normally I use buttermilk) in my mashed for the first time and it was delish!
Sausage Meatloaf Cupcakes with Creamy Mashed Potato Frosting Adapted from Rachael Ray
2 baking potatoes, peeled and quartered 1-1/4 pounds sweet or ot Italian sausage, bulk or with casings removed 1 onion, finely chopped 1 red or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped 1/2 cup heavy cream 2 Tablespoons butter 1-1/4 cups breadcrumbs 2 large eggs Salt Pepper Parsley for garnish
In a medium saucepan of salted water, bring the potatoes to a boil. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes, drain. Using an electric mixer, beat the potatoes with heavy cream, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt until smooth. Keep warm and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat, until barely pink, 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a large bowl. Discard any excess grease and return to medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add to the sausage and let stand for 5 minutes. Using your hands combine breadcrumbs, sausage mixture and eggs, breaking up any large pieces. Season with salt. Fill each foil-lined muffin cup with sausage mixture (flat to the top). Bake until browned, about 20-30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a platter. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a star tip (or resealable plastic bag with a corner cut off) with the mashed potatoes and pipe onto each cupcake. Garnish with chopped parsley and freshly ground pepper.