Barbie World + love

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it. [George Eliot]

But first, the glory that is a hurricane out at sea...

Within one minute of taking this picture, the entire sky was black
We had a wonderful vacation in Hilton Head, stuffing ourselves (no, literally) every night and sunning ourselves every day. The week was clear, hot, and gorgeous until Friday, when Irene skimmed the coast of South Carolina and gave us the thrill of seeing severe weather without being in any real danger. When we left Friday morning, Kyle pointed out a piece of spanish moss that was stuck in our windshield wiper. Approximately 600 miles later, it was still there! Taking a little piece of the south back with us, I suppose:)
Now that our summer vacation is in the rear view mirror, I can't wait for the temperatures to cool down a bit and for the leaves to start changing.

I am head over heels in love with fall. I really and truly savor every season - the rains and blossoms of spring, the heat and bustle of summer, the chill and comfort of winter. But fall is the season that thrills all of my senses.

Fiery leaves against a brilliant blue or stormy gray sky, rustling in breezes and drifting to the ground. The smell of smoke in the air and geese honking in unison overhead. The return of school and football season. Cozy sweaters and hot coffee and riding boots. Making bread and soup and pot roasts in the slow cooker.

Gorgeous.
I understand the idea behind spring cleaning, but when it starts to thaw at the end of a long winter, all I want to do is go out and soak up the sun. I find fall cleaning much easier. Don't get me wrong - I love to be out enjoying nature in the fall too, but I love chilly, rainy days when I can make grilled cheese sandwiches and french onion soup, light some candles, put on a movie, and clean the house in preparation for the holidays and the long winter.

Appreciating rainy days is a prerequisite to happiness when living in Pittsburgh.
These past few days on my morning walk with Bailey, the sun hasn't come out until 6:40ish and the air has a definitive chill. After a few months of hot, muggy mornings and hotter, muggier days (especially ones lived in a 100 year old house without central air!), the promises of cooler weather make me smile.

Be still my heart!
What's your favorite season? Why?