Barbie World + love

Of Plans and Dreams: Vacation Edition.

To lose oneself in reverie, one must be either very happy, or very unhappy. Reverie is the child of extremes. -Antoine Rivarol

There is nothing I enjoy more than planning, except possibly dreaming, and the two often meld together. I'm talking about daydreams -- the art of imagining things that could be.

I research trips to foreign countries as if it's my actual job. I love to come up with ideas for parties and gifts and little surprises. I write out lists of names all the time, for future children and dogs alike. Of course, my problem (or saving grace, depending on how you look at it) is always follow-through -- but the act of planning is such a high that, most of the time, I don't need any tangible results to feel satisfied. Dreaming about vacations and dogs and babies and parties is always blissfully low-stress and free.

One of my current plan/dream tandems is to...

Take a fun trip for our first anniversary


Plan:

Williamsburg, Virginia?

New York City?

Boston, Mass.?
Dream:

Tighten up your strings, boys. IRELAND!
Next May, I want to spend a week somewhere wonderful. Preferably a place with old-timey restaurants and fun pubs, with lots of charm and things to do (Williamsburg). Or somewhere with lots of ethnic restaurants, stylish bars, and things to do (NYC). Or somewhere with both (Boston).

We had an incredible, relaxing honeymoon planted firmly on the beach or in the pool, drinks in hand, for ten entire days -- which is just what I needed after planning a wedding, because WHOA. But this time I want to go do things. Of course, being the budget-minded grown-ups that we are now, Ireland is probably not the smartest choice. But the three stateside options would be lots of fun, and significantly cheaper than a jaunt over to the Emerald Isle (though not as cheap as my newly frugal self would like, knowing how we drink eat). That's the loosely formed plan for celebrating one year of wedded bliss, because we are nearing the six-month mark, yinz (!!!)

But don't think I don't have my eye on Ireland. I've already done my research, and at some point -- five year anniversary? Ten? -- we are totally doing this.