Barbie World + married life

Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm. [JFK]

JFK, I love your legacy and your fabulous style, but I'm going to disagree with you here -- though dealing with the actual business that goes down in DC might be slightly less enjoyable than a little tourist jaunt now and then.

We're ready to party, statesmen style.

In early March, Kyle and I are headed to our country's very own beloved Capitol to celebrate his 28th birthday weekend (holy smokes, yinz, he's growing up so fast). It isn't quite the late-winter tropical getaway I had in mind, but I absolutely love this town -- the architecture, the sights, the food. Take it in, in all it's glory...

via

via

via

Our hotel

via
While I was talking about it with my mom last night, I realized that I've actually been to DC a lot over the past few years. Some of Kyle's best friends lived there for awhile, so we visited now and then. His aunt lives close by in Virginia too. And I got the chance to attend a work conference there last March, when the weather was unbelievably gorgeous. I'm hoping for more of the same this time around.

A friend/coworker of mine used to live there, and she gave me fantastic recommendations for restaurants before I left for the conference last year. I don't want to give all the fun away, because Kyle is going to be surprised by a few dinners that I've planned, but the cheese plate appetizers at two of these places are the stuff of dreams.

That's really all we have going on around these parts right now. Oh, except that today is Kyle's last day at his job. Crazy! Just like I suspected, there's a happy hour (or should I say there are happy hours) tonight. But this time we're going to one of my favorite spots, Sharp Edge.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Kyle is getting an awful lot of celebratory stuff? Happy hour in his honor, brand new fancy-pants job, birthday trip to DC... must be nice, livin' the life.

What do you recommend in DC?